Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Day at Canada Olympic Park - Part I

After dropping Sharon and the gang (3 other examiners) off at Rocky Mountain College yesterday, I drove in the opposite direction from our hotel to see what kind of trouble I could get myself into! ;o) I remembered seeing the Olympic ski jumps in that direction when we returned from Banff Sunday so thought I might see what Canada Olympic Park had to offer. I ended up having a great time and spent over 5 hours there! Calgary was the host city of the 1988 Winter Olympics and Canada Olympic Park hosted many of the events. Calgary and the surrounding area is still Canada's number 1 training centre for many winter sports.

It was only 9am when I first arrived and nothing really opened until 10 so I grabbed myself a cup of coffee and read The Lost Daughters of China while looking up at the ski jumps.

I also wandered around the gift shop and saw the bobsled that was used in the wonderful Disney movie, Cool Runnings. During the 1988 Winter Olympics, Jamaica entered it's first ever bobsled team in the Olympics and they, along with 'Eddie the Eagle', became crowd favourites!

When 10:00 rolled around I headed back to get my headset for the walking tour just as a bus tour was beginning. You know me....I kinda strolled behind them and picked up a ton of interesting information! :o) The group were school superintendants from the states and most were very friendly as we spoke when looking at the Olympic Museum stuff. One moment was hilarious though. This one lady looked at me, put her hand out and said, 'I don't believe we've met.' I put my hand out to shake hers and said, 'Hi. I'm Catherine and not officially with your group but am just here as a visitor.' Well, she pulled her hand back so quicly you would have thought I had the plague! LOL! Her loss...I'm fun to get to know. :o) The others were very kind though and the tour leader told me to stick with them at the beginning so that I could hear what was going on.

....to be continued in Part II so that I can attach more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...