Friday, June 23, 2006

Canada Olympic Park - Part III

As promised, I now give you Part III of my trip to Canada Olympic Park.

As promised (and I know you just couldn't wait to see this pic!) here I am in a 2 man bobsled. These things are so NOT built for comfort! Inside it's metal bars, wires and absolutely zero padding. (I supplied my own padding ;o) and was still uncomfortable!) I have a whole new appreciation for these guys when they leap into these metal tubes and catapult themselves down the track!

In the past you could ride a bobsled on wheels down the track (you know I wanted to!) but because of the damage the wheels were doing to the track, they no longer use the sled with wheels on it.

This is a picture of what a slice of the track would look like. The tubes that you see extending to the right and left of the track carry amonia gas piped into liquid which allows the entire track to remain frozen even when the air temperature is up to 30oC/87oF! As you can imagine it is quite costly to do so so with it being summer the track does not have ice on it right now so all training is done in The Ice House at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...