Monday, September 16, 2013

Hannah’s First Piano Lesson!!!

The day finally arrived. 

The day mommy had dreamed about for  many years. 

Yesterday Nana gave Hannah her first piano lesson!IMG_0901

(Look at those beautiful long fingers!  From the moment we first saw her we teased that she’d been born with piano fingers!  Here’s one of her referral pictures taken at 3 1/2 months old)Hannah 2

Nana and I decided back in June that Hannah would start lessons this fall and Hannah talked about it often.  She was excited!  She was ready!  And she asked often when she would start.  She has grown up hearing Mommy teach piano to her students in the basement so it’s a concept she’s familiar with.

I purchased her books last week but she wasn’t aware of that until yesterday morning.  She danced around the house squealing when I pulled her new books out of the bag.  She was ready….NOW!

When we finished lunch she asked Nana if it was ‘Fall.’  Not knowing where she was going with this we said it would be fall next week.   She then asked Nana if today was the day she was going to start piano lessons and was thrilled when Nana said, ‘Yes!’

It was fun to be on the other side of the lesson and be the mom sitting behind and listening to what Hannah was learning.

At one point Nana traced her little hands in her book so that Hannah could write in the finger numbers.  I sat on the couch and held back tears!  LOL!  I have traced many a little hand into their piano books and today it was Hannah’s hands that were being traced!  My Hannah!  My baby girl!!IMG_0897

Hannah still is a little unsure of writing number’s 2 and 5 so Nana wrote these in for her and Hannah wrote the others.IMG_0906

She learned about the musical alphabet being made up of the notes A, B, C, D, E, F and G.  She also learned finger numbers, groups of 2 and 3 black keys and quarter notes (ta), half notes (ta-ah) and whole notes (ta-ah-ah-ah).  IMG_0893

You did great Hannah!  Mommy is so proud of you!! 

Thank you Nana!  What a gift for Hannah to be taught by you!IMG_0900

A new part of our daily routine will now include piano time and I’m hoping to make this a fun part of our day as she learns how to play this beautiful instrument!

And yes, you will now be subjected to the occasional piano video here on the blog.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and Hannah and Nana! What a journey you've begun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that Nana was a piano teacher just like you. Have you ever mentioned that before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that lately or not. She is amazing and was my piano teacher too.

      Delete
  3. Love it!!! Music is a HUGE part of our household too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Nana is a family friend who has been like a 2nd Mom to me for many years. We like to call her my Mother-in-Love

      Delete
  5. Sometime late last spring, Charlotte started asking about learning to play the piano. She frequently sits at my baby grand and tinkles away--I'm thankful that she's never banged on the piano. Whew--she has a healthy respect for instruments. So, we talked about starting piano lessons possibly in the fall; however, I think Charlotte is a bit behind in recognizing and writing her numbers and letters, despite out great efforts to work on this. So, I guess we'll have to wait a little while before we start this journey. I'm looking forward to the day that we can share this love and hopefully my own playing will improve. Right now she is quite taken with Taekwondo--the master says she shows promise, as she's very flexible. Charlotte was registered and attended her first ballet class last week, but when it was time to get ready this week, she said she didn't want to do it anymore. I don't want to have a battle on my hands every week, we dropped out, but there will likely be space in another class should she change her mind. There are so many activities I love that I would like to introduce Charlotte to, but I don't want to tire out my little beauty so early in her development. It will be interesting to see what she gravitates to and falls in love with. I think Charlotte became interested in martial arts because of watching the WD movie Mulan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to watching all the future videos and keeping up with Hannah's progress as she learns. I can't wait to finish settling in my new home and getting my piano into the livingroom (it's currently in a temporary location so I only have to move it once after painting and carpeting) so my girls can get back into their piano lessons. I loved listening to them practicing and correcting each other. I could always tell who was at the piano because one pounds and plays too fast, another sounds choppy and halting and one sounded pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Catherine..that is so sweet that Hannah had her first piano lesson. I think I was about 6 when I had mine. You have been nominated for the Liebster Award. Go to my blog to check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful post Catherine! Hannah is so blessed to have a piano teacher like Nana, she sounds wonderful! Can't wait to start Grace on the piano too although we have many moments where she insists on playing along with me!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...