Saturday, August 19, 2006

Helpful Hint...Preparing a Coconut

A few years ago when 'Survivor' became all the rage, my friends and I decided to host a Survivor Finale Party. We had fun creating themed food so you know it included coconuts and rice.

The trouble was, we didn't know how to open a coconut. After much work we were able to hack our way into the coconut and eat some of the great fruit inside. But man...was it work!

After that, we decided there had to be an easier way to get into a coconut so we surfed the net and found the perfect recipe!

I made a quick stop at the grocery store tonight and a coconut caught my eye. (sad when it's a coconut that catches your eye on a Saturday night!) I brought it home, prepared it and yummm...enjoyed some of it! If you'd like to know the perfect way to open a coconut, read on!

1. Using a hammer and nail, drill holes into the 'eyes' of the coconut to create small openings.

2. Drain coconut milk via holes created in step 1.

3. Place coconut in a preheated 400oF oven for 6 mins.

4. Remove coconut from oven. I wrap mine loosely in a tea towel as sometimes it cracks and pops so I don't want' any pieces flying!

5. After cooling for at least 10 mins. place coconut in a couple of plastic bags.

6. Grab that hammer once again and take out all your frustrations about referral delays! ;o)

7. Using a knife, pry the coconut from the shell. It should pop off fairly easily.

8. Rinse and enjoy! Yummmm!

PS - Anyone know when the next season of Survivor starts? My other vice Amazing Race begins on Sunday, September 17th at 8:30.

1 comment:

  1. Oh..... I LOVE Survivor AND the Amazing Race! AR is my FAVOURITE show, with Survivor a close second. Not sure when they start. All I know is that when they do..... I'll be watching!

    Janet T.
    tuiningatreasures.blogspot.com

    PS- Love the taggies- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...