Monday, November 02, 2009

Oh What a Great and Glorious Day - Hannah is HERE!!! - Part 3

We boarded the bus around 4:30 for the return trip back to the Dolton and oh what a different ride it was!! We were now holding 10 precious babies and the bus was much louder than when we had driven the other direction. Hannah was still calm and still just trying to figure it all out. I'm guessing she had never been outside the orphanage until this morning and now, after a long 5+ hour drive from DaoXian to Changsha, and meeting her mommy, she was travelling once again. Before long my sweetie decided it was nap time and cuddled in for a rest. Ahhhhhhh!!!

We arrived back at the hotel and went to our room to wait for Sarah to come and share details from the orphange about Hannah's daily care. It was about an hour and a half before Sarah arrived and my sweetie napped during some of that time and was awake at others. We had some tears and can I say she has the sweetest little cry? She can get wound up for sure but it's still a little cry and in her most upset times her little voice squeeks which has led to the nickname of 'Little Squeek' at times.

I eventually gave her a couple of stacking cups and all was right in her little world once again. I had taken a toy to the Civil Affairs office but it had appeared to scare her so I was being cautious. It would not be unusual for her to not have really had toys or many toys until today so I didn't want to overwhelm her. I love her little hands when she holds things as she still has what I call 'baby hands' and I love it!! Her little thumbs are tucked in and stick out between her index finger and middle finger. So sweet! Note to self....catch this in a pic...don't have one yet.

Sarah came to our room around 6:00 and shared about Hannah's daily schedule. She currently has 2 bottles a day of formula with rice cereal mixed in with it. I'll continue with this for a bit to ease her transition and then move her to cereal in a bowl and formula seperately. She likes vegetables, rice, fruit, mashed pork, steamed egg and....cake! LOL...my baby girl still likes her cake!

She was described as outgoing, happy and generous and I can already see these traits in her. I cannot believe the number of smiles and giggles we get!!

Once Sarah left we decided to grab a quick bite to eat before meeting to do paperwork for the civil affairs office. I attempted to eat a little soup but was much happier taking care of my baby and feeding her a little congee.

We met the rest of the families at 7:30 where Hannah fussed a bit at first and then decided to conk out. It was her bedtime and she was ready to go to sleep. Back in the room I changed her diaper and put her down for the night. I had decided to keep her in the little outfit she came in so as not to change things too quickly. So much in her little world had changed today so if being in her orphanage clothes (which were the pj's from her care package!) would give her any comfort then I wanted to offer her this. (I've now taken these and placed them in a ziploc and will put one piece in her crib the night we move to Beijing and another piece when we go home to Canada. Trying to help her adjustment with smells that are familiar to her.)

My sweet baby girl was asleep for the night around 10:00 and she slept right though until 7:20 the next morning! I was amazed too that she didn't really move in her crib at all. The position I left her in is where she was all night....because mommy got up often to check! :o)

There you have it folks....our Family Day in the details that I can remember. Thank you for making your way through all the details. I know it's a lot but more than a blog, this is our Family Journal and I want to capture as much of it as I possibly can to share with Hannah later.

Thank you for all your comments and emails. I'm the first to admit that many sit unopened in my in box right now but please know that they are greatly appreciated! As I have time I will read and enjoy them but my focus has changed in a wonderful way to the sweet baby girl behind me who is starting to stir, ready to face another day together as mother and daughter!!!









52 comments:

  1. So happy that little Hannah is in your arms. Can't wait to meet her... once we get back from Vietnam. I think we may pass each other in the sky.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing the details, what a sweetie!! You can see her sweet little baby hands as you described in her sleeping picture...so precious! I hope things continue to go smoothly for you both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you both! She's a beautiful little girl!

    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have expressed your first hours with Hannah perfectly!!! She sunds like she will adjust to her new life quickly-- God Bless you and your new sweet daughter!! She is lucky to have a wonderful, loving Mom!!~~Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been fantastic ready all about your first day as Mommy and Daughter.
    loving all these photos of your precious little bundle,she is soo tiny and dainty,she looks like a perfect little angel sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding? We live for the details! Enjoy every second of this time. It is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pictures of babies sleeping. So innocent and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm identifying with her already!! I too made "little squeaks" when I was a baby, receiving the nickname "Squeaky" from my Dad.

    Glad everything is going so well. Thanks for taking time to pacify those of us back at home, longing to be with you and living each moment wondering how you are doing, impatiently waiting to hear news and celebrate with each new experience.

    Love ya Cath.
    Until next time,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Catherine!! My heart is so FULL for you right now. The feelings you are feeling in China are so amazing!! I am SO GLAD I blogged it, because when I got home, I didn't remember SO MUCH! Your Hannah is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations. What a beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a little angel she is. Congratulations to both of you!! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful keepsake this journal will be for Hannah.

    She is absolutely adorable!!! You both look so happy and comfortable together. What blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine, your Hannah reminds me so much of my sweet Hannah, who is now 11 years old! Even how you described her little hands!!! Congratulations!
    Jeana from Illinois
    Mom to Hannah, age 11, and Grace, age 6

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is nothing better than reading these updates and seeing those pictures! Blessings Blessings Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. An angel. Lovely. Precious. Soft. Sweet.
    All baby. All yours!
    We are still just grinning, so much love for you and Hannah!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you recorded the day here for Hannah.

    Enjoy your time!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are your arms tired yet? I remember how sore I was the first few days. Nothing like baby weight to tone the arms!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, LOVE the pics and especially fond of the first one of the two of you... mother and daughter! Still excited for you.

    HUGS!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. You DO have that thumb between the index and middle fingers thing in a picture! Your first picture from your Part 2 post when you are holding her! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine! Thanks to Kayce who helped me find your blog! Dave and I were so moved by your photos and videos. We cannot wait for our trip.
    Hannah is so beautiful and she looks so happy already to be with you!
    We wish you a great trip and lots and lots of hugs!
    xoxo
    Dave and Di

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Isn't it great to finally! have your daughter in your arms - to hold the promise that you've waited for so long? Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Catherine and Hannah! Becoming a family this way is a life long process. Enjoy these first few days and take in as much as you can!
    Hugs Ruth in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful. I love reading all the details of Family Day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH..what a sweet Dao baby...so glad you and Hannah are doing so well...she is super sweet...I know all is right in your world!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm loving the details! We want to share all of this with you!!! I'm glad things went so well with Miss H the first night!

    ReplyDelete
  26. She looks so peaceful in her sleep, I love that "touchdown" pose :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a sweet, precious little girl. You're a mommy :) How awesome it that. You have so much to look forward to.

    Best wishes,

    Allison

    (how old is Hannah when you're reading this? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for posting pics and updating us. It is so nice to see you finally with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. so wonderful to hear how amazing this journey has been for you BOTH!!! the pictures speak a thousand words, but i'm soaking up every one of yours :O)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The two of you look like two missing puzzle pieces that have finally found each other! Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of your trip. xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Catherine! How wonderful! A and I just sat and cried reading these, looking at the two beautiful women in the pictures and watching the great videos!

    Soak it all in, my friend! You have plenty to time to read emails, so just enjoy these incredible first days with your beautiful, beautiful daughter!

    Congrats! We are grinning ear to ear for you in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sending prayers and well wishes your way.
    What a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness she is such a little sweetheart! I love the updates, you and Hannah will both come to treasure these!

    ReplyDelete
  34. She is such a beauty! Congratulations! Enjoy every minute with your precious Hunan princess!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulatins again. Hannah is just precious. The pictures of you two are just beautiful. I am so thrilled and happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Catherine you look radiant and Hannah is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, I'm reading every detail. Hope things continue to go well.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  37. Catherine, I have never meet you and only just started following your BLOG about a month ago! What an amazing woman you are! Hannah is so blessed to have you as her mom. Enjoy each and every minute with her she is sooooooooooo PRECIOUS!!!! Best a luck with everything! CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your precious Hannah is a doll. We are so happy for you that your arms are full of the best bundle.

    wela

    ReplyDelete
  39. hey Catherine it's we have been following you blog and are SO happy for you, she is adorable can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I’m so happy that little Hannah is finally safe & sound in her momma’s arms!!

    I enjoyed reading every bit of your family day and it gave me chills to even think that in a few short weeks I will experience my own family day with my little girl! ~*happy tears*~

    I can’t wait to read how your next few days go and see lots more pictures of your sweet Hannah as the 2 of you explore & learn all about one another!! What an amazing miracle!

    Smiles! :o)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  41. We were in Changsha last year over Thanksgiving to receive our daughter, Ava. Your blog is bringing back such wonderful memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Catherine - your little Hannah is a beautiful baby. Congratulations on being a mom - it's the best thing that will ever happen to you!

    Candis

    ReplyDelete
  43. SHE IS GORGEOUS!!!!!! I love reading your stories!1

    Love, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Catherine,
    She is so unbelievably lucky to have you for a mommy. You are being so conscientious and compassionate in easing her transition. Congratulations on your beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a delightful read! I am so happy for you and your beautiful daughter. Blessings for a safe and happy trip now and in the future. Alyzabeth's Nana

    ReplyDelete
  46. Catherine, she is absolutely beautiful! I am so happy for you!
    Laura in DC (from Marching Pandas)

    ReplyDelete
  47. One more little comment from me.
    If Hannah doesn't move around very much when she sleeps, I have an important suggestion.
    It will be important for you to change her position each time she goes to sleep. For example if you put her on her right side, next time put her on her left side. The time after that put her on her back. This is to prevent her head from becomming misshapen or cone like. Also don't have her always on her back because that makes the head flat. Hope you don't mind the little suggestion. I have just become aware of this again because we have a baby in our church with this prob.
    Still so excited for you and I can see that you are going to be an awesome Mommy. You are so prepared and have everything under control. YAH.

    ReplyDelete
  48. She is just gorgeous, Catherine! And you look so wonderfully happy! Gives me goosebumps to think back to our Family Day and all the new things we were learning about each other. I know you're savoring every moment with your new baby girl. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Congrats to the happy family! I've loved following your journey this week. Hee hee - you're a MOM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh how Happy I am for yu and Hannah to be together!! I'm feeling tears in my eyes as I see your beautiful pictures.. I can never get enough of watching this miracle take place. Knowing another wonderful family has come together is so great. Linda (Laurens Gramma)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...