Monday, May 02, 2011

A Week That Will Go Down In History

The past 4 days have contained so many moments that will go down in history that truly it is hard to believe they’ve all happened at once.


Friday was the joyous celebration of the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I woke up shortly before 6am to enjoy as much of it as I could before going to work. Hannah woke up not long after me and even though she didn’t know what was happening she enjoyed watching the horses and being called, ‘Princess Hannah.’ It was a beautiful, perfect joyous celebration! My heart hurt that Wills’ Mom wasn’t there to enjoy it but aside from that it was absolutely wonderful! What fun to watch this young couple and how down-to-earth they are. Years of excitement to come and it’s neat to know that their first international visit is going to be to Canada this July!royal wedding william and kate apr 29, 2011


The second item to go down in history is the death of O$ama B1n Lad3n. As I walked to work this morning I glanced at the newspaper box fully anticipating it to be touting today’s Federal Election. I was shocked (and pleased) to see that headlines. That man caused such destruction almost 10 years ago and hopefully this will allow people to rest a little easier tonight.


The third monumental item is happening as I type this. I purposely avoid politics on my blog but tonight a shift has happened in our country that needs to be recorded here for historical sake. This blog will be turned into a book and this is an important time to record.


Canadians have gone to the federal election polls 4 times in the past 7 years which I’ll tell you gets old very quickly! The past 3 times a minority government was elected which basically meant as soon as the opposition parties got tired of them they forced an election. (At least that’s how it seems to this very uneducated blogger. I’m the first to admit that politics are not my thing.)


Tonight was history in the making and the parties which represent Canada have changed in ways nobody could have imagined. Even all the polls leading up to tonight’s election showed something much different from what is taking place even as I write this post.


The Conservative party has been elected with a majority government. Finally a majority!! The 2008 election saw them end up with 143 seats and it appears this election they are going to end up with 166.


The Liberals have been the official opposition for the past few years and they are barely limping into 3rd place. They went into tonight’s election holding 77 seats and will end the night with only 34.


The NDP who for many years have had a firm hold on 3rd place are now securely in second and will form the official opposition party going from 36 seats in the House of Commons to 104!


The other part of this election that I am thankful for is that the party responsible for trying to separate one province from the rest of our country for many, many years have all but been obliterated. They went into tonight’s election with 49 seats and end the night with 2 or 3 (numbers still to be finalized). This party will no longer even have official party status in the House of Commons.


History was made tonight in Canadian politics. It’s going to be interesting to see where things go from here! (Please note that I am writing this post purely to record it for historical reasons, not to open debate. I ask that you please respect this in the comments section. Thank you.)


So, it is a week that will go down in history for sure! For myself I’m choosing to focus on the wonderful celebration of the wedding of Wills and Kate and also wait with great anticipation to see what will happen on the Canadian political front! 1B09A50D


1B09B41D

10 comments:

  1. Hee hee, I can't get enough of that adorable little bridesmaid in the lower left corner of the last photo. I think her name is Grace. She was so funny in some of the photo's and at one point she simply had enough and made it known! What a great week it has been!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been quite a few days! The wedding was amazing. Simply amazing!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wedding was beautiful. I have caught snippets of it here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure was quite a week after all. Will & Kate's wedding, I loved how many kids were involved in the wedding. :)

    You should see the election results in Quebec. NDP had only 1 seat pre-election, they now have a total of 58 which is more than half the seats they got after the whole election was done. The Bloc Quebecois lost 43 seats, hopefully it'll mean good things for our province.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what the NPD means, but I assume the people trying to separate are PQ (England was foolish to ever allow them all the rights they did, and it "royally" ticked off the people in the Northesast when they did it).

    It has certainly been a very big week!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very big week, for sure. No matter what the outcome of any election, I'm always grateful to the women who came before me who fought for my chance to cast my ballot. I will never take that for granted.
    The wedding? Absolutely beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a whirlwind week hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wedding was AMAZING!!

    This post made me think about my blog and that I do need to add things like big events for Z's book. Thanks for the hint! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. It's good to document historical stuff for your book. You'll enjoy looking back at it, as will your little one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree! What a whirlwind week up here in the North! I think you are so smart to include things like this. What fun for Hannah to see in the future!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...