Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Prayer Is The Air We Breathe

For as long as I can remember Hannah and I have said her bedtime prayers as she drinks her final bottle in my arms.  We begin with, ‘Now I lay me down to sleep.  I pray the Lord my soul to keep.  Angels watch me through the night, and wake me with the morning light’ and then ask God to bless our family and friends mentioning our closest by name.  After that we thank God for our day, praise Him and pray for whatever comes to mind that night.  I also thank God for creating us to be a family and pray for Hannah’s salvation and that she will ‘stay and not stray.’  (Thank you Nana!  I love that phrase and have been using it since you and I talked about it.)

I treasure this prayer time and love that Hannah is now participating in the prayer by sometimes mentioning the people we pray for as I pray and adding her sweet ah-men to the end.

I am also teaching her the pleasure it is for us to be able to pray whenever, wherever.  Sometimes it’s in the car or around the house and if she were with me at work she would find me praying at my desk too. 

Recently there seems to have been an abundance of opportunities to spontaneously pray for others.  One night 2 weeks ago we faced two situations which required immediate prayer.  An acquaintance was in full labour with her twins at only 25 weeks gestation.  When we heard the news we prayed together as soon as we got into our car.  (Sadly one baby girl lost her battle for life this past weekend although you can still pray for her sister who is still fighting for life.  Thank you!)

That same evening that we found out about the early labour we went to Walmart where a 14 month old little boy fell out of the cart onto his head only feet from us.  It was awful!  I was able to help the young Mom out with her other son while she initially cared for the baby and then helped her contact family.  This little guy was taken to the ER and the Walmart manager called me the next day to say that they’d been back in the store and that he was doing great, laughing and giggling as if nothing had happened!  After we helped this young Mom Hannah and I went down a quiet aisle of the store and prayed for baby Nathan. 

In the past week 2 friends have also had major surgery so we have been praying for each of them.  Sometimes it’s during our bedtime prayers and other times it’s when they cross Mommy’s mind.  I love that we can be in the middle of colouring pictures and I can say, ‘Hannah, let’s pray for _____’ and she willingly stops what she’s doing, squeezes her little eyes shut and together we lift loved ones before the Throne of Grace.

My desire for Hannah is that prayer become the air she breathes too.  May she always know she has a direct line to the listening ear of God.

I must add though that I think she’s already learning this and it’s so sweet!  The other day she lightly bumped her hand and as she lifted it to Mommy for a ‘feel better’ kiss she also said in a sad little voice, ‘Mommy!  Pway!!’  Too sweet!

4 comments:

  1. Catherine praying with our children is so beautiful to me. Astrud is 18 and Steven is 26 and married and we will still just stop what we are doing to pray for something or someone. It was always very common for us to be in the car and for us to pray together. Prayer was a gift I could give my children that didn't cost a dime!

    Like you , Im a rocker, always have been and even though she is not using a bottle anymore she still drinks milk before falling asleep, naptime is mine and bedtime is daddys. But as we sit for every meal as young as she is, she will spread out her arms and say, "pay", and we pray. At bedtime her big sissy come in her room she has to grab our hands and I then say "Jesus", "thank you" and "we love you" , she repeats with either a giggle or smile and then says "Men"!!! Even in church she will yell out a spontaneous "Men" (amen)!! Our entire church family adores it!!

    The other night Frank was sitting in the rocking chair waiting for her to crawl up in his lap and when I walked in , he had tears in his eyes because she was leaning down to her three baby dolls , as she was covering them up and telling them night night , he said she was saying "Men". It was an amazing moment, even though she truly does not understand yet we know we have planted a seed and started our blessing of raising her to know and love her creator. It humbles us to our knees , all of our children are all on loan to us until the day he takes us all to spend eternity with him and knowing that our children will be there with us is the greatest joy of my life!

    You are doing an amazing job as a single mother, you will reap your reward.....

    Love and blessings, Kristy

    ps Can you let us know how the newborn twin is doing please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful Mother, nothing as important as teaching our children about Jesus and iknow God is well pleased with you, Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a GREAT job Mama! You have your priorities straight and thus, she will as well. Blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, as I have loved reading your blog. I'm just starting down the path of adopting from China, and find myself praying quite often lately. I will make sure to include the little baby girl and her mommy and sister as well tonight in my prayers.
    I also want to thank you for your wonderful blog. I feel God has led me to it as he is leading me to adoption as a single mommy. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...