Sunday, July 01, 2007

Celebrating Canada Day!

Yesterday we celebrated Canada Day one day early. Kathy and Joel hosted a bloggy BBQ at their place for some of the local (and not so local - Doris) adopting families! It was great to spend time catching up with old friends, meeting new ones and getting to know some of the hubby's of ladies who I've met through our Waiting Mommies group.

Here's a pic of the group. It's a little tough from this pic to match everyone up because we're kinda mixed up but I'll do my best. Back row l to r: Jaap, Shawn, Joel and Jamie. Front row l to r are: Jill, myself (with Jill and Jaap's daughter Adrianna on my lap) Kathy (hubby is Joel), Dolores (hubby is Shawn), Laurie and Sophie (hubby is Jamie) and Doris with Daisy. Sadly Dan wasn't able to make it this weekend. We missed you Dan!! Also, our friends R & J were there but not in the pic.

Doris and Adrianna hit it off and had lots of fun playing with bubbles and comparing their Canada flag tattoos although once Adrianna's good friend Sophie showed up the adults were left to entertain themselves.

The girls had a great time playing together and paused momentarily for a photo shoot but we had to work quickly as there were kayaks to play in (on the grass) as well as candy to be eaten and Dora colouring books which were calling their names. Who had time for pictures with all those exciting things to do?

Part way through the afternoon Doris, Joel and I headed to the store. I laughed as I looked up to talk to Joel in the store and was quickly reminded that he was celebrating Canada day in style! :o)

As the evening came around the temps dropped so that ladies took to the inside while the guys toughed it out in the outdoor room in the backyard. Sophie and Adrianna quickly warmed up to everyone as you can see by this pic. Doris thought it looked pretty comfy too so when Adrianna moved on Doris took her place!

It's always such a treat to spend time with fellow adoptive families. Not only don't we have to describe 'the wait' we can also encourage one another, support one another and talk about what we're doing to deal with the long delays. I am so thankful for the many, many friend's God has given me to share this journey with. I can't believe how blessed I am to have all of you in my life and in the future, in our little girls lives! We're building friendships now that our children will be able to enjoy in the future.

Happy Canada Day everyone! It was a treat spending time with you!

24 comments:

  1. That Doris is one craaaaazy chick! :-) Looks like everyone had a great time! Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!

    I love living vicariously through your getting together with all those great bloggy mamas and papas of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of movement and animation in that group. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great time! I'm glad you were able to meet Shawn. I love getting together with bloggy friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all looked like you had a wonderful time! It was great seeing so many of my blogger buds in one room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a FUN day!!! That Doris...just love her. Great pics-those kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so much fun, wasn't it! Great photos you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, now that you and Jill have posted some good pics, I can make a decent post. I didn't take a lot of pictures for some reason!
    We had a lovely time with everyone and it has rejuvenated us! Thanks for everything, Catherine and for being such a sweetie pie!
    Next time, pack Darth...just in case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a tremendously fun BBQ! I had so much fun with everyone and I loved seeing you and chatting. Only wish that there was more time and that Dan was there to share in the fun!

    Hope to see you soon!

    Love ya!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, every time I see pictures of you and bloggy friends, you always have SO much fun! It looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a totally fun day! Happy Canada Day a day late:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great time. As I mentioned on Kathy's blog...just wished I lived closer. Or all of you did!

    BTW... great choice of books for Jill to read to the girls! No wonder they are so captivated. You didn't think I wouldn't notice that now did you?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great time! Belated Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had SUCH a good time, it was great seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you all had a great time.

    BTW thank you so much for the beautiful outfit...it will be on my blog later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW.....I'm jelouse AGAIN!!! That looks like one great way to spend Canada Day!! I will be sending you an email tonight....k??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a good time was had by all...we were VERY sad to have missed it!

    We will see you on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That looks like a fun BBQ!!! I wish I could have been there but was hosting one of my own!
    THANK YOU so much for the adorable outfit for Naomi - I just love it!!!
    ((Hugs))
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Canada Day! Sure looks like u had a great time!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  21. You guys have so much fun together! How awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every now and again I pop in to see how you are. I must say it is nice seeing the 'bloggy' parties... nice to see names to the faces... sounds like you all had a great time. Take care... oh Happy Belated Canada Day

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...