Thursday, July 12, 2007

Cottage Fun - Weekend 1!

Last weekend we headed north for our first weekend at the cottage. Mom and Dad rent a cottage for 3 weeks in July and we all look forward to it! It was extra fun for Rebecca as her friend Victoria was able to come up for the weekend and they had a ton of fun together! Laughing, singing, playing, chatting, swimming and so much more! Sadly I hardly took any pictures. What was I thinking?

We arrived Saturday afternoon and put the boat into the water only to realize the battery was dead and we needed a new one. Ugh! Mom watched the girls while dad and took a run into town to get a new battery and pick up some groceries.

When we returned we unloaded the van which is no easy feat as there are about 50 steps down from the parking area to the actual cottage. One look across the lake from the front room though and it's all worth it!

I have to explain this pic as it has a fun story behind it. A few years ago when we arrived at the cottage Rebecca asked Grandma for some applesauce. Since it wasn't sweetened Mom put a little 'sugar' in it before giving it to her. She took one bite and said, 'Ewwwwwww...it tastes like soap!!' Yup, Mom had accidentally put Tide in her applesauce rather than sugar. My parent's take little bits of what they'll need for 3 weeks in ziploc bags. So ever since then...the soap and the sugar are clearly marked and we all get a chuckle out of the Tide story! And you have to know that we never let mom live that one down!

Another one of the highlights last weekend was the speaker, James MacDonald of Walk in the Word ministries was the speaker. I was only able to hear him on Sunday evening but he was great! One of the fun things is that this week he's been recording a new DVD series so there was a film crew from Nashville set up in the chapel. For someone like me who distracts easily, I had to work on concentrating as a huge 50' boom camera was swinging about but it's neat to think those DVD's will go out around the world later this year. Fun!

I'll be heading back up to the cottage tomorrow after work and am looking forward to it. Will spend a couple of days with my parents and then move to a friend's cottage until Tuesday. I have something really exciting up my sleeve for my parents this weekend (I can write that here because they don't have access to a computer so won't be reading my blog) but I won't share the details yet. If it all goes to plan it will be AMAZING!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

PS - The nasty feather pillow has been moved far, far away from my room and my mom was kind enough to wash the bedding for me. Thanks mom!

16 comments:

  1. The cottage looks beautiful! Glad that the girls had a good time together and the Ziplock story? Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ziplock story! That's really funny. And the cottage? Oh, how I would love to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have an awesome time..I always smile when I visit here!!! Based on the story, we would get along fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty funny ziplock story. When my mom was young, she made an apple pie for my grandfather and she accidentally used cups of salt instead of sugar.. EWWWW.. Don't you know my grandfather ate his piece of pie anyway so as not to hurt my mother's feelings. Gross!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cottage is beatiful! What a great place to relax and connect with family and friends.

    Soap in Ziplocs is too funny!

    Hope you pull off your surprise with great flourish!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesnt seem like a whole year ago your were posting about your last years cottage visit!! I love the ziploc story....your poor mom!! I too sometimes forget to take pictures or just choose to be lazy. I better not do that in China!!! Hope you have a great weekend and look forward to chattin with you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great place to relax. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful location! No wonder you like going there. I love the ziplock story. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love listening to James MacDonald on the radio. So cool that you heard him in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the cottage looks lovely!! Sounds linke a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes soapy apple sauce must taste really bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great weekend at the cottage. Looking forward to hearing about the surprise for your parents.

    I'm laughing about the sugar/soap accident. I wonder how clothes would wash up with a scoop of sugar. :)

    k

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not yet over the Tide in the applesauce. Now there's a new taste sensation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the view from the cottage is beautiful what a perfect place to spend 3 weeks relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW the cottage looks amazing!

    I reckon that a little Tide in the applesauce would be a little soapy tasting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhhh, some time just relaxing at the cottage...sounds like heaven! Hope you don't get any nasty rashes this time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...