Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mystery Solved!!

Yeah! What I have is hives and they're an allergic reaction. Still itchy but some places slightly less than yesterday. After trying over and over to figure out what might have caused them I thought back to the only other time I've had something like this and it was almost 15 years ago and I was allergic to a fur coat of a coworker that I tried on.

What happened this time was on the weekend I took one of my own pillows from home and used one of the cottage pillows as my 'hugging pillow.' Sure enough, when I talked to my dad this morning he went upstairs and checked and it's a feather pillow. Not sure what kind of feathers - I just know my body doesn't like them! (I slept with a feather pillow for years as a kid but now my body doesn't like them at all as I found out the hard way!) I have huge welts on the inside of my arms from my wrists to almost my shoulders, my chest, neck and chin. Yup....everywhere that pillow would have touched my skin. Even though it had 2 pillow cases on it it was more than my body could handle so it reacted. Yuck! Not too many new spots appearing today which is good because they seem to be most itchy when they first come up. Some places are blistering but not really painful or itchy there. I tell ya...I look like Casper walking around! :o) The best way to deal with the itching has been numerous oatmeal baths and lots of calamine lotion and Benadryl.

Oh well, it's been a lesson learned and I just feel so relieved that we've finally determined the cause so that I can avoid a similar situation in the future!

Itchy Scratchy signing off!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! I'm in pain just looking at you.....thankfully you figured it out!! I cant believe that a pillow would cause that...you better take your own to China (note to self). Well enjoy your baths and hopefully you can recover quickly!! Now I'm scratching my arm...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Catherine!!! Poor you!!

    Does the Benadryl make you sleepy??!! It sure does for me!!

    Did you get my return email yesterday at all??!!

    Love ya!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am glad it wasn't poison ivy - that would have been horrible!!

    Lesson learned - carry pillow everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes sense!! Yikes, well at least now you know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine!!! I was wondering if it was an allergic reaction to something. My mom, at 60, developed an allergy to all kinds of foods and she breaks out in hives if she eats her "forbidden foods." She found out that you can develop allergies at any age. I guess it is a good thing my dad is an allergist! I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Casper/Itchy/Scratchy,

    I hope you're feeling better soon!! Sounds icky.

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you don't have some mysterious, unnamed new disease.

    Now, take that Benadryl. Only downside is it knocks me out cold...for a long time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mystery solved but still not any ease to the itch. Hope the lotions work and you are scratch free soon.

    Hugs!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, just looking at that makes me itchy! Hope you're getting some relief soon! I can totally relate to what you're going through. Recently I discovered I have a latex sensitivity - apparently caused by my running shorts (which contain spandex). Yup, nasty little rash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so painful! I'm glad you figured it out! Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOoo doesn't sound nice. Hope you are back to your peaches and cream skin in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent sleuthing!! Glad you figured it out and hope you're bump- and scratch-free soon! Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ekk looking at that has me scratching as well. Hope it clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh man -that does not look like fun! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope your itchy scratchy goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...