Sunday, June 07, 2009

Thankful for Safety

Yesterday afternoon as Norma, Joel and I were headed out for break we noticed sirens but really didn't think too much about it. Working in the downtown area just 2 blocks from the police station, sirens are just a part of daily events. I was surprised on my way home 2 hours later to learn that there was a train derailment only about 5kms. from our office. Thankfully nobody was hurt but it was a close call as freight cars and some carrying chemicals went off the tracks and tumbled into people's back yards.

Tonight when Sharon and I were out I decided to see if we could get near the scene. I was shocked when we were allowed to drive right up to the area where they are cleaning up from the accident and we saw how bad it was and also how close it had been to people's homes. It reaffirmed how thankful I am that nobody was hurt!

Here are a few pics I took and the final pic (showing how close it came to people`s homes) is one from the newspaper.








The thing I am most thankful for is that this accident didn't happen 10 minutes earlier. The home my parents live in is the one I was in from an early teen. This exact train rolled behind my parent's home (100' behind their home) just 10 minutes earlier!!

8 comments:

  1. OMW..that is awful..
    Hope all is well.
    Have a great Sunday..
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. That is so scary to look at. I'm so glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We heard about this on Friday night and had to pass by the area on our way to a friend's house. We weren't able to see anything from the 401, but we did see lots on the news. Very scary, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read about that I immediately thought of you. I am happy that you are fine.

    Such an awful event. So glad that no one is hurt.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yowza...that is WAY too close for comfort.

    Glad all escaped injury.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd haeard about the crash and was wondering how close it was to you.
    Closer than you'd like I am sure.
    Glad it turned out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, that last picture was crazy! I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as it could've been.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...