Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Things That Go 'Crash' in the Night! **Updated**

Oh my!!! Sharon and I were sound asleep in our hotel room last night when suddenly there was a loud 'crash/bang'! We both sat bolt upright and our hearts were beating so fast and we were shaking! It quickly became obvious to us that someone had tried to break into our room and had got so far as to actually open the door a bit! Thankfully we had put the slide lock on the door so that had stopped them because the deadbolt had been unlocked from the outside!! When we realized what was happening I quickly ran to the door to look out the peek hole but the hallway was empty. We could tell someone had almost made it in though as the piece of the lock that is nomally flush against the door was now out at a 45o angle. Talk about scary!!

We didn't call the front desk figuring it had just been a mistake and we attempted to go back to sleep. Deciding to reinforce the door a bit more (purely for comfort sake as opposed to safety) we discussed what we might be able to put in front of it. We teased that our bag of snacks might weigh enough to keep it closed but then thought that might only entice them to come back. We also talked about putting our luggage in front of it; as any of you know who have been here for long, we don't travel light!! In the end, we double checked the slide lock, the deadbolt and moved the closet door over the door and put a chair in front of it, purely for a little bit of peace of mind. It took us over an hour to settle down and fall back to sleep and as an answer to prayer, we both slept well.

Fast forward to 6:30 this morning and IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!! Can you believe it?? Once again we were both woken from out of a dead sleep by someone opening our door! Even though the deadbolt and slider were on they were part way into the room again! Sharon was on her feet first and suddenly yelled out in a loud, low voice 'HEY!!!' It took me a moment longer to wake and by the time I did she was already half way to the door, yelling at whomever was out there! She looked out the peek hole in time to see a young guy in a maintenance uniform standing back from our door with a surprised look on his face. (He was probably wondering who was yelling at him!)

We immediately got on the phone and called the front desk to let them know what was happening and have them send someone up. After a couple of questions he figured out that they had our room recorded wrong in the computer and so in their system we were in a vacant room. Umm nope - we're in here!! (When we first checked in yesterday our keys didn't work in the door of the room they sent us to. Sharon went back down and the girl at the front desk said she'd written down the wrong room # and sent us to a new one. Guess she wrote the wrong one in the computer too!)

In the end it was all a big mistake but it sure was a scary one!! Now we just laugh about it and suddenly yell out 'HEY!' to one another! I can see how the first problem happened but really cannot understand why they would have sent someone up with a master key at 6:30am when there was a question if the room was empty or not! That's what phones are for! Don't know why they didn't wait for a normal hour to call the room and check before using a master key to unlock the deadbolt a second time!!

All in all it's fine and, a story to tell. One of the many adventures we have shared together over the years of travelling together for her business! We laugh at her running to the door and yelling out 'HEY!' because if you knew our personalities I'd normally be the one doing that but nope...Sharon to the rescue!! I teased and said that when I heard her loud, low 'Hey' that I woke to think 'ooo, there's a guy in my room?!' only to see 'him' running across the room in a pink nightgown! :o)

The hotel apologized profusely and offered to give us tonight's stay as a complimentary one but we're seeing what they can do to give Sharon a credit for another time as tonight's night is being paid for by her business. It would be so much nicer if she could have an opportunity to come back with her hubby another time rather than 'the kid!' **UPDATE** Sharon has been given a credit to come back for a complimentary night later this year and breakfast is also on them tomorrow morning. It's good when a company stands behind their errors and does what they can to correct the situation.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS put the deadbolt and slider on hotel room doors! I know that's a lesson we'll remember for a long, long time!

24 comments:

  1. Holy cow, I would have been frightened if that happened. I hope Sharon gets the credit, that's the least they can do for what you went through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!!! I wouldn't have even heard the second time because I would have perished from a heart attack the first time. Big chicken here. Glad everything was alright. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had that happen to us with maids given the wrong checkout dates on computers. It is scary, but most of the times it's been innocent on their part.

    That's why the bar is still there after all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have been freaking!!!! Wow!!! Glad it ended up being no big deal though!!!

    I guess by the looks of your pictures you won't be travelling Carry On Only like Connie hey???!!! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aly would have thrown a fit! And hit me in the shoulder until I ran into the hallway to confront our intruders :)

    Seriously, that is scary and just one of the reasons we always travel "protected"...which of course carries its own set of liabilities!

    Glad to know you all are OK.
    peace
    fm
    peace
    fm

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that would have scared me as well.oh gosh

    ReplyDelete
  7. geez loise catherine!!

    As I was reading I kept thinking that it had to be someone from the hotel...how else would they be able to get the room door open. ( well I guess a previous guest maybe???)

    Glad that you are safe and sound. Your suitcase pic was hysterical...guess you are not going COO :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds very scary... I don't think I would have gotten back asleep! Hurray for all those crazy locks!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes - that would make one cringe in their jammies.

    Great advice. Always lock the slide. I know you're glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart was thumping as I read your account! My goodness...

    I'm so glad you weren't in any danger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is crazy!! A mix up fer sure! Happy to know that they back up their mistakes with proper compensation.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ..... and you got back to sleep after the first intrusion?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow..
    that is scary..
    Glad you are both okay..
    Have a great trip..
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  14. When Larry gave us the Coles Notes version of this story at supper tonight, my first question was, "Didn't Cathy run to the door first?" And he said, "No, it was Sharon". You're right! I was in shock.

    You don't have to tell little Miss Fort Knox to secure all her deadbolts and sliders! You know that's always done when you're with me! HAHAHA!

    Hope you continue to have a great time and glad everything turned out so well.

    Love & prayers to both of you,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um....I'm totally putting the dead bolt on from now on! I'm glad you're both okay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you guys are okay! I am always freaked out about something like that happening! Glad the credit is coming, it's deserved!! Speaking of deserved, I awarded you a little award. Stop on by if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness!!! You poor thing! Will you ever sleep again?!! I was thinking the maintence guy had seen you attractive ladies going in, and thought he might get lucky?!! HEY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! I would have been scared out of my mind! I am glad everything was a mistake. I ALWAYS lock my hotel door at night with every bolt and slider there is available to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! So glad this was a false alarm but a nice reality check on safety when travelling!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a story! Aside from the heart attack, it is great that S will be able to come back for fun. Bet she'll lock the bolt, put the doorhanging sign on, order room service and leave the tray outside the door...
    You always have such adventures! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!!! You had me worried there for a minute!!! So glad everything was ok. Have a great time1

    Love, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my heck Catherine!! My heart skipped a beat as I was reading this. I once had someone use their key card and actually get IN our room. Talk about scary and confusing. So I too now ALWAYS put the dead bolt thingy across the door. Glad yours turned out to be a laughable incident and not a break in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so scary! I wouldn't have gone back to sleep after the first time. Glad it all ended up being okay. And what a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...