Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Milk Stories....Part II

I thought the bagged milk tale might create a few comments but it's been quite funny to hear the questions it has created. Some people asked was about storage. Here's how we find it in coolers in the grocery store.
Until tonight I thought everyone just stored it in the fridge by laying it on a shelf until it's ready to be used and moved into the upright container. This is what milk looks like in my fridge. (Note the delicious Raspberry and Pretzel Jello Salad. Kim posted it on her blog last fall and I made it 4 times for get-togethers over Christmas. Yummy!!)

My friend Michelle emailed me tonight with a pic of her milk storage container. I didn't know these existed. It even has a neat little place to put the 'best before' tab which works better than the hanging from the bottom of a shelf method that I use.


Years ago, when I was in Alberta visiting a Bible College, their milk was served in small bags. To drink the milk you took a thin straw that was pointed at one end, covered the other end with your thumb (trust me....this was a very important step which I once forgot) and then stab the bag. Cool!
Who would have thought the little milk bargoon would create not only one but 2 posts? It's fun learning how things are done differently depending on where we live!

16 comments:

  1. I am amazed. I have truly never seen this before. You Canadians... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I wonder what the "historical" reasoning for the bags and continual use of the bags might be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those Bible College Milk bags.
    That was the highlight of attending graduations there when I was little.
    When my sister first moved to your neck of the woods from the West she spent nearly 5 minutes at the dairy case hunting for the milk. Someone else had to point out to her that it came in bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Austin Texas! The milk postings are educational and so interesting. I also learned a new word! Bargoon! Easy to figure out but just one I'd never heard before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember drinking little cartons of milk in school and LOVING being the milk monitor!

    I love the storage unit but it is handier to keep the milk on the bottom shelf. But I LOVE your milk jug! Mine is plain red plastic.

    I take my milk very seriously. The best before date is not a factor in our house. I buy the milk and drink it all myself. Milk is my fave!!

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you could tell my 'Milk Bag Holder' is empty and I am in need of some milk! I got it from Regal, I bet that solutions store has it too, they have all those neat storage type things :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly, most of the milk here in Alberta is in cartons or plastic jugs now. I haven't seen milk in bags for years! I do remember the little bags of milk with the straw, though....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Milk Bag" - sounds like a derogatory term to me. I'm just glad my car doesn't run on milk now that the gas prices have gone down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tee hee ... still with the milk eh? I have never seen the litle mini bags, they remind me of sip-sacks we used to buy at Perettes when I was a kid. Same idea but with juice (sugar water with color actually). I remember they were 10 cents and we would blow them up and pop them after ... hee hee ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friend "Michelle" has nothing on me!!! We've had her milk container since before we moved into this house - I believe Daniel was in kindergarten!! In fact, our fridge is complete with no less than TWO such holders as we go through milk so quickly! I can't believe you've never seen one before!!!! I guess it all just runs in the family! (Had to comment - bumped over here due to Joy's masterpiece yesterday!!!) You girls and the kitchen!!! Love ya, Japh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got 2 milk bag holders from Regal too. I never thought about saving the best before tab thingy because we go through milk too quickly around here. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time we had any food last long enough in the fridge that I had to check the date first. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally I was more interested in the pretzel jello salad concoction....thank you for that. smiles, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, of course "June Cleaver" has a milk bag container too! HAHAHA!

    Michelle told me Monday she was going to take a pic and send it to you. Hilarious the response this has had - who would have thought?

    Thanks for your comment today on my blog. We'll set a date and bake bread and watch a movie. Thanks for believing in me.

    Love ya,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mini milk bags are what my kids get at school, I think these are becoming more and more common.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use milk cartons but have a plastic container with handle to fit those into. It's easier for the kids to pour with the handle. I never thought of bags, perhaps I should look into it...one would think it's more environmentally friendly than the cartons, although it is plastic...ummm...something to look into. :-)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...